The Mexican Institute of Petroleum (Mexico City campus) is seeking candidates for a Post- Doctoral stay in the field of biomass and bioenergy systems with a special focus on decision support systems and modelling for sustainability. This is a limited term position funded by the Newton Fund Impact Scheme and British Council. The successful candidate will join an ambitious impact generation project “A decision support platform for bioenergy technology deployment and policy making in Mexico”, working with an international team of collaborators from IMP and University of Surrey. Employment is contingent upon availability of funds and satisfactory performance, up to a maximum of two years.
The work involves conducting research developing and applying novel models and methods for assessment of triple bottom sustainability. This includes assessing the techno-economic viability and environmental sustainability of bioenergy systems of processes such as combined heat and power, bioethanol, bio-jet fuel and other biofuel production processes in biorefinery schemes. Models and methods will be implemented in a software tool as part of a decision support platform. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assistance with biomass and process data integration and analysis, process and bioenergy systems modelling, spatial analysis, some experimentation, preparation of manuscripts for publication. A good level of English language and high level of productivity for peer-reviewed publications is expected.
Desired qualifications, experience and skills:
- An earned Ph.D. in any of the following fields Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Energy Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Systems Engineering, Bioenergy or related from an accredited institution.
- Strong interest in whole systems approaches to sustainable energy research.
- Proficiency in computational skills for modelling is desirable. In particular experience with optimization and decision support systems.
- High level of analytical, statistical, organizational and planning skills.
- Capacity to work independently and also effectively in a team, and possess excellent written and interpersonal communication skills to be able to regularly communicate project results.
- Knowledge of modern programming languages (e.g., Java, JS, python) for software development and artificial intelligence methods is optional but highly desirable.
In addition, the candidate must meet eligibility requirements for work in Mexico by the start date and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment. Applications from female researchers and other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged. The selection and remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and according to postdoctoral level scholarships in Mexico.
Application process: Applicants must provide the following documents (English language): 1) a cover letter, 2) CV (3 pages max.), and 3) list of publications relevant to the post. Only complete applications will be considered for review. Documents, and any questions regarding the position, should be send by email to Dr Elias Martinez (email@example.com) and Dr Jorge Aburto (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadline: 30th April 2021